Go to: [Rare GURPS Items]
Simpler GURPS Guns Combat
by David L. Pulver (firstname.lastname@example.org)
The entire GURPS gun combat system was better in 2nd edition anyway, the current rules for recoil, SS, and accuracy are annoying. Anyone with half a brain could make a better and just as realistic system in about two minutes that didn't require all attacks to automatically have modifiers:
- Divide range bands into short, medium and long range. All short range atttacks are unmodified, all medium range are at -3, all long range at -6. Drop accuracy modifiers.
- Drop snap shot. Drop recoil.
- Allow guns to fire only once per turn (if semi-automatic) just like melee weapons -- but allow two attacks if you all-out attack, thus adding some tactics into a gun fight. Unify the system. For guns with recoil, give them a higher ST number.
- Why in God's name do we have a seperate system for melee attacks and ranged attacks? The All Out Attack mechanic would work beautifully for gun combat -- characters have an option to either fire one shot at +4 and not dodge, fire two shots at no bonus, or fire a "snap shot" and still dodge at no penalty.
- Distinguish between rifles and pistols by giving rifles a longer range band and a +2 bonus per second of aim instead of a +1 for pistols. Instead, we have this kludged mechanical nightmare of SS numbers giving different results and recoil values and god knows what else.
- Toss the system into High Tech or Vehicles as optional rules and leave it at that.